The British annexed the Cape of Good Hope in 1806 , but the final authority of the British was only ratified in 1814. In the same year the Lutheran Church became the first Cape congregation to acquire an organ[Simpson p/III 28 1814] - the first by a British firm. In contrast to the Early Period, here we find that an organ is imported through an agency rather than built locally and erected by a (usually foreign) craftsman who, as often as not, remains behind. This would be the beginning of a trend that was to remain for more than a century.
Another contrast that emerges is the decline in the number of secular organs, and the concurrent rise in the number of liturgical instruments.